2 sticks of celery
Handful of celery tops
Handful of parsley
800g pork (I used a fatty fillet, but would recommend leg steak)
2 jars of passata
200ml Dry white wine (I used Soave)
Salt/Pepper (to taste)
Around 250g polenta
70g parmesan/grana padano
1. Start by dicing the carrot, celery and onion very fine. Retain the offcuts, peelings etc to go into
2. Gently sauté the onion for anywhere between 10-30 minutes (the longer the better) You don’t
want to brown the onions, just soften. Then add the carrot and celery. Don’t allow the
vegetables to catch or burn, a good tip is to add little splashes of water or cooking stock. I
would cook the sofrito down for about 15-20 minutes (again though, longer the better)
3. Seal the meat in a separate pan and then drain off any excess fat and add to the sofrito. At
this point I would add a splash of white wine and cook on a high temp for 2-3 minutes to burn
off the alcohol.
4. Now its time to add the tomato. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat right down. I would
say cook this for between 2-6 hours, or until the meat is tender. Again, the longer the better
5. Half and hour before you want to serve, add the polenta to a saucepan. I used roughly
200-250 polenta and about 400ml of boiling water. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a
simmer, adding the butter and cheese, salt and pepper. I personally dont like to add too much
butter and cheese, but if you want something a bit more luxurious then go for it.
6. Once the polenta is cooked, serve with the ragu. If you like, you can add some blocks of
cheese (gorgonzola, mozzarella, provalone) and little pieces of salami into the polenta.
7. I like to dress mine with some chilli or chilli oil
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.